sports 3 days ago

Vehicle hits bicyclist in store parking lot in Spokane Valley

The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash. — Amy Edelen The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

May 17--The Spokane Valley Fire Department last week responded to several calls involving unauthorized burning, motor vehicle accidents and a report of a dumpster lid used as a barbeque.

A 21-year-old male on May 9 was struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle in the Yoke's Supermarket parking lot on the 13000 block of East Sprague Avenue around 2:45 p.m. The man was not wearing a helmet and suffered injuries to his face. He refused medical treatment, evaluation and transport to the hospital.

Firefighters responded to a report of a 73-year-old woman, who was run over by a U-Haul truck on May 12 around 3:45 p.m. on the 10500 block of East Sprague Avenue. When crews arrived at the scene, they observed the woman lying in the U-Haul parking lot with bystanders attending to her. The U-Haul truck was stuck in reverse and the woman was run over by the truck while exiting the driver's side. She was transported to the hospital for moderate injuries to her arm and leg.

A 46-year-old woman drove an SUV through a fence on around 1 a.m. May 13. When crews responded to the accident on the 9700 block of East Broadway Avenue, the Spokane County Sheriff's Office was already on the scene. The woman initially asked for medical treatment, but then refused. The department left her in custody of deputies.

May 7: Crews around 7:30 p.m. responded to a report of a dumpster fire in an apartment complex on the 200 block of South Carnahan Road. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they discovered a transient man was using the outside flap on a dumpster as a barbecue. Crews extinguished the fire with water.

May 8: Firefighters responded to a call at 2:35 a.m. from the Spokane County Sheriff's Office on the 200 block of South Bowdish Road. Upon arrival, they found a burst water pipe in the sprinkler system along Appleway Trail, which was flowing 30 gallons a minute into the Jackson Hole II Bar & Grill. Modern Electric and Water arrived to turn off the water.

May 9: Crews at 8:50 p.m. responded to an electrical outlet fire in Hop Jack's restaurant at the Spokane Valley Mall. The restaurant manager said a power cord from an icemaker started to smoke, along with the electrical outlet it was plugged into. A bartender grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed the outlet. The power cord shorted out and melted. Crews ensured there wasn't a fire behind the outlet.

May 10: Crews were called to a vehicle fire in Liberty Lake at 2:45 a.m. on the 21800 block of East Mission Avenue. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they observed a large pile of belongings outside of the car. The driver said the vehicle lost power and started to smoke under the hood. A passerby helped put the fire out, which was near the car battery. The driver refused medical assistance.

May 12: Firefighters responded to an unauthorized burning call at 9 p.m. on the 3400 block of South Pines Road. When crews arrived, they found a homeowner burning construction materials and informed him it wasn't permitted. The homeowner extinguished the fire.

By the numbers: The Spokane Valley Fire Department from May 7 to May 13 responded to 335 calls including 14 fire related calls, 13 alarm system response calls, 278 emergency medical service calls, one extrication call, one water rescue call, two hazardous material calls, 24 motor vehicle accidents and two service calls.

___

(c)2018 The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Wash.)

Visit The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Wash.) at www.spokesman.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

AdChoices